Every Wednesday and Friday, The Verge publishes our flagship podcast, The Vergecast, where our editors make sense of the week’s most important technology news. On Fridays, Verge editor-in-chief Nilay Patel, editor-at-large David Pierce, and managing editor Alex Cranz discuss the week in tech news with the reporters and editors covering the biggest stories.
The show starts with the biggest news from the week — Instagram and the controversy around the changes to its app. On our Wednesday show, we discussed Instagram head Adam Mosseri’s response to criticism of the changes and overall direction to make the app feel more like its competitor TikTok. The following day, Instagram walked back its changes, with Mosseri saying “we definitely need to take a big step back and regroup.” Today’s episode walks through the whole story.
The rest of the show focuses on the quarterly earnings of some big tech companies — Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet, Spotify, and Comcast — and what that info may mean for their future products.
Listen here or in your preferred podcast player for the full discussion.
Stories discussed in this episode:
- Meta and Apple in ‘deep’ competition to build the metaverse, Mark Zuckerberg tells staff
- Yes, it’s weird for the two-year-old Meta Quest 2 to go up in price
- Meta might let anti-vax posts back onto Facebook and Instagram
- Instagram walks back its changes
- Microsoft Q4 2022 earnings: Xbox and Windows fall in $51.9 billion quarter
- Meta reports revenue decline for the first time in Q2 earnings
- Here’s where to buy the Meta Quest 2 before it costs $100 more
- Alphabet Q2 2022 earnings show profits dropped compared to last year
- Comcast’s broadband business stopped growing for the first time ever
- Spotify’s subscribers rise to 188M amid podcasting setbacks
- Spotify amps up fiction podcasts with new leader of scripted content
- Spotify paid $123 million for audiobook company Findaway
- Spotify has stopped making its Car Thing dashboard accessory
- Apple’s latest iOS 16 beta ensures you can’t hide your mistakes with an edit
- Apple’s new Home app in iOS 16 is better but still half-baked
- SpaceX says Dish’s 5G plan would be ‘detrimental’ to millions of Starlink users
- You can rewatch Game of Thrones in 4K on HBO Max next month
- President Joe Biden’s video conferencing setup starts with a $7,000 Zoom gadget
- Asus’ compact Zenfone 9 comes with incredible gimbal-like camera stabilization