Are you trying to find a way to record your phone calls on an iPhone call, say, for an interview? Unfortunately, there’s no native feature or app that allows you to do that in a straightforward manner given the potential legal repercussions Apple could face. Thankfully, though, there are a few ways to get around that obstacle.
Assuming you have permission from the person on the other end of the call that you’re recording (depending on where you live, you could be breaking the law if you don’t!), we found three ways you can do so.
Use the Voice Memos app
There are a few ways you can record phone calls from your iPhone if you’re comfortable using an external device and a recording app. For example, if you have a second iOS device like an iPhone or an iPad, you can use the free Voice Memos app (or any free recording app) to record your conversation using your phone’s speaker setting.
Voice Memos typically comes preinstalled, though you can install it for free from the App Store if necessary. Here’s how to use it.
- First, make sure the second device is as close as possible to your iPhone. (Remember, you’ll be using it as a speakerphone.)
- After opening the Voice Memos app, click on the red record button before you start the call.
- Be sure to click Speaker on your iPhone so that the Voice Memos app will be able to hear and record the conversation. It’s a good idea to turn the phone volume up as much as possible so the app better picks up sound.
- When you’re done with the phone call, click on the red record button once again.
- You can then share the file with yourself via text message, AirDrop, email, or Google Drive. Just tap the file, click on the button with three dots next to it, and select where you want to share it.
the App Store.